Dr. Ramamurthy has held a variety of technical leadership positions in the professional community.
Elected as Chair (2009-2011) for the IEEE Communication Society
(Comsoc) Optical Networking Technical Committee (ONTC) (website) in its biennial elections. ONTC is a worldwide
community of more than 500 individuals working in the area of optical
networks. The ONTC charter includes the championing of optical
networking within IEEE ComSoc through IEEE journals, magazines and by
organization of optical networking symposia at IEEE ICC, GLOBECOM and
OFC conferences. He previously served as Vice Chair (2007-2009) and
Serves as TPC Co-Chair for IEEE INFOCOM 2011, Shanghai, P.R. China, April 2011 (website). IEEE INFOCOM
is the top conference in the field of computer networks and attracts over 1200 paper submissions each year.
Serves as an Editor on the board of IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN) and IEEE Communications Surveys
and Tutorials journals.
- Served as Guest Editor of special issues for IEEE Network and IEEE Communications magazines and as an
Editor for the SPIE Optical Networks magazine.
General Co-Chair for Broadnets 2008 conference ICCCN 2009 and Opticomm 2009 conferences.
TPC Chair for ICCCN 2008 conference (with 16 tracks), IEEE ICC 2006 Optical Networks and Systems Symposium and Broadnets Optical Track.
Served as the TPC Vice Chair for the IEEE INFOCOM 2008 Conference (the top conference in Computer
Networks) as well as its Mini-Conference TPC Co-Chair.
Served as Organizing Committee member for over 10 conferences/workshops.
Served as Technical Program Committee member for over 25 conferences/workshops.
Served as reviewer for over 10 journals.
Served as a reviewer/panelist for the US National Science Foundation
(NSF), US Department of Defense (DoD), Canada's National Research
Council (NSERC), and Chilean Research Fund Council (FONDECYT). He has
served as a professional reference for evaluation of tenure and
promotion cases for junior faculty at US academic institutions (4 in
the last 5 years).
- Served in various Departmental, College and University
committees, including chairing the CSE Graduate Recruitment Committee
(2006-2009), serving as the CSE Graduate Admissions Chair
(2007-2009), chairing the CSE Faculty Search Committee (2004) and
coordinating the UNL Program of Excellence (PoE) Academic priority
initatives on Simulation and Computing Engineering and Information
Technology and Telecommunications (2002-present).
- JOURNALS and TECHNICAL COMMITTEES
- Guest Co-editor, IEEE Communications - Feature Topic: Multi-Domain Optical Networks: Issues and Challenges, June 2008.
- Vice Chair, IEEE Communication Society's Optical networking technical committee (ONTC), December 2007 - present.
- Secretary, IEEE Communication Society's Optical networking technical committee (ONTC), December 2005-2007.
- Online Content Chair, IEEE Communication Society's Optical networking technical committee (ONTC), December 2003-present.
- IEEE ComSoc Optical Networking Technical Committee Homepage (maintained by Byrav Ramamurthy).
- Associate Editor, OSA Journal on Optical Networking (JON), February 2008 - present.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Communications magazine's Optical Communication Supplement (OCS), 2004-2006.
- Editor, IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, 2006 - present
- RECENT CONFERENCES
- TPC Co-Chair, INFOCOM 2011, Shanghai, P.R. China, April 2011.
- General Co-Chair, ICCCN 2009 - 18th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, Aug. 2009, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- General Co-chair, Broadnets 2008 Conference, September 8-11, 2008, London, UK.
- TPC Chair, ICCCN 2008 - 17th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, Aug. 2007, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, USA.
- Miniconference TPC Co-Chair, INFOCOM 2008, Phoenix, Arizona, April 2008
- "Technical Program Vice Chair for Information Systems (EDAS)" INFOCOM 2008, Phoenix, Arizona, April 2008 (Guidelines page for TPC members)
- TPC Member, ONDM 2008 - The 12th International Conference on Optical Networking Design and Modeling, Vilanova i la Geltr˙, Catalonia, Spain, March 12-14, 2008.
- TPC Member, Q2SWinet 2007, the 3-rd ACM* International Workshop on QoS and Security for Wireless and Mobile Networks, October 22 - 26, 2007, Chania, Crete Island, Greece.
- TPC Member, GC'07 ASNS - Globecom 2007 - Ad-hoc and Sensor Networking Symposium, 26-30 November, Washington, DC, USA.
- TPC Member, GC'07 ONSS - Globecom 2007 - Optical Networks and Systems Symposium, 26-30 November, Washington, DC, USA.
- TPC Member, IMMERSCOM 2007, Bussolengo (Verona), Italy, October 2007.
- TPC Vice Chair, ICCCN 2007 - 16th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, Aug. 13 - 16, 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii USA.
- TPC Co-Chair, INFOCOM 2007 High Speed Networking Workshop (HSN), Anchorage, Alaska, May 11, 2007
- TPC Member, ICC 2007 - Optical Networks & Systems Symposium, 24-28 June 2007, Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
- Member, Technical Program Committee, IEEE INFOCOM 2007, Anchorage, Alaska, May 2007
- TPC Co-chair, IEEE ICC 2006 Optical Systems and Networks symposium, Istanbul, Turkey, 11-15 June 2006.
- TPC Co-chair, BROADNETS 2006 Optical Symposium, San Jose, California, October 2006. (Call for Papers) (Paper submission site).
- Sponsorships Chair, SecureComm 2006, Baltimore/Washington Area, September 2006.
- Registrations Co-chair, IEEE EIT Conference, (Lincoln, NE), May 22-25, 2005 (website)
- Workshops Co-chair, BroadNets 2005 Conference, (Boston, MA), October 3-7, 2005 (website)
- Chief Judge and Co-organizer, ACM Regional Programming Contest, November 2005
- Panels Co-chair, BroadNets 2004 Conference, (San Jose, CA), October 25-29, 2004 (website)
- Member, Technical Program Committee, "IEEE INFOCOM 2004 Conference", Hong Kong, March 7-11, 2004.
- Guest Co-Editor, IEEE Network -- Special issue on "Optical Communication Networks, Dec. 2000.