When it comes to research and innovation, we consistently achieve a level of excellence unparalleled by most. Our groundbreaking, globally renowned undergraduate research has continually led to industry-evolving innovations.
In the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, interdisciplinary research is integral to our culture.
We invest about $5 million each year to conduct state-of-the-art research in software engineering, informatics and systems.
Not only is 100 percent of our tenured and tenure-track faculty engaged in active research programs, but so are our graduate and undergraduate students.
Collectively, our outstanding faculty:
- Hold eight National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER awards
- Publish an average of two journals and six conferences each year
- Produce a number of patents, books, book chapters and essays
- Produce research using more than $3.75 million a year in grant expenditures
Our Research Areas
- Methodology, Maintenance, Program Analysis, Software Testing and Reliability
- Bonita Sharif, Hamid Bagheri, Brady Garvin, Suzette Person, ThanhVu Nguyen, Chris Bohn, Robert Dyer
Informatics and Algorithmic Foundations
- Algorithms, Bioinformatics, Computational Complexity, Computer Vision, Constraint Processing, Constraint Satisfaction, Data Mining, Databases, GIS, Image Analysis, Intelligent Agents, Languages, Machine Learning, Semantic Modeling, Simulation and Modeling, Visualization
- Berthe Choueiry, Jitender Deogun, Peter Revesz, Stephen Scott, Leen-Kiat Soh, Vinod Variyam, Hongfeng Yu, Juan Cui, Hau Chan, Chris Bourke, Shruti Daggumati, Qiuming Yao
- Collaborative Technologies, Distributed Computing and Storage, Embedded Systems, Sensors and Sensor Networks, Networking, Real-Time Systems, Security
- Carrick Detweiler, Byrav Ramamurthy, Ashok Samal, Mehmet Can Vuran, Lisong Xu, Justin Bradley, Brittany Duncan, Massimiliano Pierobon, Mohammad Hasan, Motassem Al-Tarazi, Nirnimesh Ghose, Witty Srisa-an, Marilyn Wolf, Arman Roohi, Dung Hoang Tran
More Information on Our Faculty Research
A complete list of our faculty, their research interests, publications (journal publications, conference publications, workshop publications, technical reports, books, and chapters in books) can be accessed through our Faculty Database system.
You can also check out our video series for an inside look at our faculty research projects.
UCARE pairs undergraduate students with faculty, providing a unique educational experience by allowing students to be involved in ongoing research or other creative activities. If undergraduate research interests you, visit UCARE today for more information on this exciting opportunity.