Research and Innovation
Award-winning faculty, driven students and cutting-edge technology
When it comes to research and innovation, we consistently achieve a level of excellence unparalleled by most. Our groundbreaking, globally renowned undergraduate research has continually led to industry-evolving innovations.
In the Department of Computer Science & Engineering, interdisciplinary research is integral to our culture.
We invest about $5 million each year to conduct state-of-the-art research in software engineering, informatics and systems.
Not only is 100 percent of our tenured and tenure-track faculty engaged in active research programs, but so are our graduate and undergraduate students.
Collectively, our outstanding faculty:
- Hold eight National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER awards
- Publish an average of two journals and six conferences each year
- Produce a number of patents, books, book chapters and essays
- Produce research using more than $3.75 million a year in grant expenditures
Our Research AreasSoftware Engineering
- Methodology, Maintenance, Program Analysis, Software Testing and Reliability
- Faculty: Myra Cohen, Matthew Dwyer, Sebastian Elbaum, Gregg Rothermel, Anita Sarma, Rich Sincovec
- Algorithms, Bioinformatics, Computational Complexity, Computer Vision, Constraint Processing, Constraint Satisfaction, Data Mining, Databases, GIS, Image Analysis, Intelligent Agents, Languages, Machine Learning, Semantic Modeling, Simulation and Modeling, Visualization
- Berthe Choueiry, Jitender Deogun, Steve Reichenbach, Charles Riedesel, Peter Revesz, Stephen Scott, Sharad Seth, Leen Kiat Soh , Vinod Variyam, Hongfeng Yu
- Collaborative Technologies, Distributed Computing and Storage, Embedded Systems, Sensors and Sensor Networks, Networking, Real-Time Systems, Security
- Carrick Detweiler, Steve Goddard, Hong Jiang, Ying Lu, Byrav Ramamurthy, Ashok Samal, Witty Srisa-an, Mehmet Can Vuran, Lisong Xu, Ziguo Zhong
More Information on Faculty, Research Interests and Publications
A complete list of our faculty, their research interests, publications (journal publications, conference publications, workshop publications, technical reports, books, and chapters in books) can be accessed through our Faculty Database system.