Research and Innovation
Award-winning faculty, driven students and cutting-edge technology
When it comes to research and innovation, we consistently achieve a level of excellence unparalleled by most. Our groundbreaking, globally renowned undergraduate research has continually led to industry-evolving innovations.
In the Department of Computer Science & Engineering, interdisciplinary research is integral to our culture.
We invest about $5 million each year to conduct state-of-the-art research in software engineering, informatics and systems.
Not only is 100 percent of our tenured and tenure-track faculty engaged in active research programs, but so are our graduate and undergraduate students.
Collectively, our outstanding faculty:
- Hold eight National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER awards
- Publish an average of two journals and six conferences each year
- Produce a number of patents, books, book chapters and essays
- Produce research using more than $3.75 million a year in grant expenditures
Our Research AreasSoftware Engineering
- Methodology, Maintenance, Program Analysis, Software Testing and Reliability
- Bonita Sharif, Hamid Bagheri, Brady Garvin, Suzette Person, ThanhVu Nguyen
- Algorithms, Bioinformatics, Computational Complexity, Computer Vision, Constraint Processing, Constraint Satisfaction, Data Mining, Databases, GIS, Image Analysis, Intelligent Agents, Languages, Machine Learning, Semantic Modeling, Simulation and Modeling, Visualization
- Berthe Choueiry, Jitender Deogun, Steve Reichenbach, Charles Riedesel, Peter Revesz, Stephen Scott, Sharad Seth, Leen-Kiat Soh, Vinod Variyam, Hongfeng Yu, Juan Cui, Brittany Duncan, Hau Chan, Chris Bourke, Massimiliano Pierobon
- Collaborative Technologies, Distributed Computing and Storage, Embedded Systems, Sensors and Sensor Networks, Networking, Real-Time Systems, Security
- Carrick Detweiler, Steve Goddard, Ying Lu, Byrav Ramamurthy, Ashok Samal, Witty Srisa-an, Mehmet Can Vuran, Lisong Xu, Justin Bradley, Mohammad Hasan, Qiben Yan
More Information on Faculty, Research Interests and Publications
A complete list of our faculty, their research interests, publications (journal publications, conference publications, workshop publications, technical reports, books, and chapters in books) can be accessed through our Faculty Database system.
UCARE pairs undergraduate students with faculty, providing a unique educational experience by allowing students to be involved in ongoing research or other creative activities. If undergraduate research interests you, visit UCARE today for more information on this exciting opportunity.
Senior Design Capstone Courses
Every Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Software Engineering senior takes a two-semester Senior Design capstone course sequence where students develop real-world software or software/hardware systems and solutions to practical problems.
Design Studio offers an unique opportunity for members of industry to interact with students in the program thru guest lectures, being a team coach, or by sponsoring a Senior Design project. Click on the button below for more information on requesting a Senior Design projectParticipate in Senior Design