How do I print from my windows laptop?
To print documents from your laptop you will need to connect to network printer.
Please note that the instructions provided only work when on campus.
- Launch File Explorer. If running Windows 8, from the Metro tiles screen, type "File Explorer" and click on the resulting application. If you are running Window 8.1, File Explorer should be on the Start Menu. If you have a "My Computer" or "My PC" icon on the desktop, you can double click on the icon to launch File Explorer.
- In the address bar, type in \\csnt.unl.edu as shown.
- When you are asked to enter your network credentials, you will need to login with your CSE credentials. Your user name must be provided as "CS.UNL.EDU\login_id" without the quotes and where login_id is your cse login ID.
How do I get access to Microsoft software available to students.
Azure Dev Tools for Teaching provides higher-education STEM departments with additional Microsoft software and services. To access the Education Hub Store visit https://azureforeducation.microsoft.com/devtools and log in with your My.UNL credentials.
The Azure Dev Tools for Teaching replaces the Microsoft Imagine web portal that was hosted on OnTheHub.
Please Note: With this change, do not log in with your cse.unl.edu credentials. Do not login with your personal Microsoft account you might have established. You must log in with your My.UNL credentials instead, which generally looks like email@example.com. When you provide your My.UNL login, you will be redirected to the UNL's single sign-on portal to authenticate with your My.UNL password.
Connecting to the Windows Terminal Server (Windows)
- The Remote Desktop Client appears in different locations in the start menu in different versions of Windows. If you are able to locate the Remote Desktop Client in your start menu, launch this application. If you are unable to find the client, then either search for "mstsc.exe" in the metro tiles screen or type it into the Run dialog.
- Once launched, on the first dialog, enter csnt-ts.unl.edu in the Computer field and click on Connect.
- You should see a dialog to enter your credentials. Enter your CSE credentials here, however your user name must be of the form CS.UNL.EDU\login_id. Where login_id would be your cse login ID. Then, click on "OK"
- You may be presented with a certificate warning. Go ahead and accept the self signed certificate.
- This should connect you to the remote terminal server. The remote desktop will likely replace your local desktop, to return to the local desktop, mover your mouse to the middle of the top few pixels on the screen , a control bar will slide down, allowing you to iconify our remote desktop.
- When you are down working on the remote desktop server, please log off the remote server and don't simply disconnect the session. Disconnecting the session still leaves it running on the remote server and continues to utilize resources.
How do I access a command line session on the cse Unix server?
For certain classes you will be required to access a command line session on the departmental unix server: cse.unl.edu.
Connecting to cse.unl.edu from a personal laptop
Search for "putty win32" using a search engine. Download and install putty on your computer. Then follow the steps in the next section.
Connecting to cse.unl.edu from a Lab Windows machine
- Launch putty - there should be a desktop icon for putty or look for it in the start menu
- In the "Putty Configuration" dialog that pops up, enter "cse.unl.edu" in the Host Name field, click on "SSH" as the Connection type, and click the "Open" button
- If this is the first time you're connecting to cse.unl.edu, there will be a Security Alert popup asking you if you want to accept the server's host key - click on "Yes"
- Login with your cse login and password when prompted.
How do I access my home directory from off campus
For occasional transfer of file between your home directory on the departmental server and your personal computer, we recommend using a SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) client. One such client is FileZilla.
You will need to download the FileZilla client, Not the FileZilla server. Install and launch the FileZilla client. In the "Quick Connect" bar in the main FileZilla window, enter sftp://cse.unl.edu as the Host, along with your CSE Username and password and click on 'QuickConnect'. The Port field can be left empty if you specified the "sftp://" prefix as part of the host name.
How do I access my home directory from my laptop on campus
If you are working on campus on your personal laptop, you might wish to map your home directory from the departmental server directly onto your laptop, so as to not have to transfer files up and down.
The instructions given are for Windows 8/8.1
- Launch File Explorer, there are many way to do this: From the Metro tiles screen, type "File Explorer" and click on the resulting application. If you are running Window 8.1, File Explorer should be on the Start Menu. If you have a "My Computer" or "My PC" icon on the desktop, you can double click on the icon to launch File Explorer..
- In the File Explorer window, click on the Computer tab on the top of the window to display a ribbon, then click the Map network drive icon. This will open a "Map network Drive" dialog.
- In the dialog, type in "\\cse-smb1.unl.edu\login_id" without the quotes and where login_id would be your CSE login ID. For example if your CSE login was csmith, your folder path would be: \\cse-smb1.unl.edu\csmith
- Check on the "Connect using different credentials" checkbox and click on the "Finish" button.
- When you are asked to enter your network credentials, you will need to login with your CSE credentials. Your user name must be provided as "CS.UNL.EDU\login_id". As in the example above, if your CSE login was csmith, the user name value would be: CS.UNL.EDU\csmith
- Provide your CSE password and Click "OK". You should see your home directory from the departmental server mapped as a drive in the File Explorer window.