Where is my CSE email forwarded to?
All new CSE accounts created for students since August of 2011 are configured to automatically forward email to the Preferred Email Address on file in MyRED so that students only have to update their personal email address in one place. Your Preferred Email Address from MyRED is also used by Canvas and several other systems on campus, so it is imperative that this is kept current. You can see where your CSE email is being sent by logging in to the CSE Account Management Utility (AMU) page at http://cse.unl.edu/account with your CSE account credentials and then clicking on the Account Settings link from the navigation on the left side of the page.
How can I change my CSE forwarding address (students)
To change the destination (delivery address) for your CSE email alias, log in to MyRED and update your Personal Email Address and make sure that this address is marked as Preferred. Your updated email address from MyRED will propagate to CSE the next time we pull a student enrollment report from MyRED, which is done weekly. To have your email address updated sooner, send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org after you have changed your email address in MyRED, and we can manually pull a student enrollment report from MyRED to update your delivery address.Please Note:
- Students are discouraged from publishing their CSE email address, as CSE accounts expire and are eventually deleted after a student is no longer enrolled in CSCE courses. For a permanent email address that students can continue to use even after graduating, visit huskers.unl.edu, and consider setting this as your Preferred Email Address in MyRED to have your CSE email (as well as Canvas messages and other correspondence from the university) sent to your Huskers email address.
- Do not populate the Work Email Address field or mark the Work Email as your Preferred Email Address in MyRED, as this field is overwritten for any students who are employed by the University of Nebraska (e.g. as a student worker or graduate assistant).
- Do not list your CSE email address in MyRED, as this can create mail loops that will prevent messages from being delivered to you.
- If your CSE account was created prior to August of 2011, you can log in to the CSE Account Management Utility (AMU) page at http://cse.unl.edu/account with your CSE account credentials and enable forwarding to your Preferred Email Address from MyRED from the Account Settings page. Note that you can not unforward your CSE email once forwarding to your Preferred Email Address has been enabled; you can only change the destination address.
How to forward your CSE email (faculty/staff)Email email@example.com asking a forward be setup for your account. Please Include your cse email and the desired destination email address.
Setting up Mac Mail on OSX 10.8+
- Launch Apple Mail (which will be known as Mail).
- Select "Mail" from the menu bar, then select preferences. Or use the keyboard command. "cmd+,"
- This brings up the preferences dialog, Select the "Accounts" tab on the top of the window. When presented with the accounts window click the plus button in the lower left corner to add a new account.
- Select "Add Other mail account" and click on "Continue"
- Fill in the required information. Please use your full name, CSE email address, CSE password and click on "Create".
- Make sure "Account Type" of IMAP is selected and the mail server is "cse-mail.unl.edu". Enter your CSE login for the User Name and click on "Next" Note that the login does not have the "@cse.unl.edu" specified.
- On the next screen enter "Mail" as the path prefix and make sure "use SSL" is selected then click "Next". Note The "Path Prefix" is a subfolder on your home directory where mail fodlers are kept. If not specified, your mail folders will be kept on your home directory.
- For the outgoing mail server, again enter cse-mail.unl.edu and your CSE login and password and click "Create"
- A new mail account, will be shown on the preferences tab. Close the preferences tab to complete setup on your mail.
- If use have issues, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Message Size Limits
The maximum message size is 10MB for outgoing email messages sent through SMTP on cse.unl.edu and cse-mail.unl.edu. This limit applies to the entire size of the message, which includes the message body, headers, and any attachments.
If you absolutely need to send a message that is larger than 10MB, you can send a request via email to email@example.com to have the message size limit temporarily increased on the server. However, large files should not normally be sent as attachments in email messages. Instead, please consider using one of the following options:
Internet2's FileSender service allows authorized users to store and send files to any Internet user who has access to e-mail and an appropriately configured web browser. Filesender is best used as a temporary, one-time sharing of a file, as storage of the file will expire and no backup is run on the system. Guest vouchers allow non-university colleagues to send files in return. FileSender is currently configured to allow files to be sent up to 1TB in size, although due to typical end-user network connection speeds and network performance conditions, it will be most useful for files in the 10MB to 50GB range. FileSender places the file contents on the FileSender server and an e-mail is sent to the specified recipients informing them how they can retrieve the file that has been temporarily stored on the FileSender service. A file placed on this service is automatically deleted after at most two weeks. Follow these steps to use this service:
- Browse to https://filesender.internet2.edu/
- Click the "Log On" button
- Enter "University of Nebraska-Lincoln" (without the quotes) for the organization name, then click the Continue button
- Log in with your My.UNL (Canvas) credentials
- Enter the recipient's email address in the "To:" field
- Enter a Subject line and Message body (both are optional, but recommended to avoid being identified as spam).
- If you want the file to be deleted in less than 2 weeks (which is the default), enter an "Expiry date."
- Click the Browse button and select the file you want to send
- Click the checkbox to agree to the terms and conditions of the Internet2 FileSender service
- Click the Send button
Additional information about FileSender is available on the Internet2 website at http://www.internet2.edu/filesender/
Box is best used when long term storage and repeated collaboration is desired. Individual files up to 10 GB and project folders can be shared and modified via assigned collaborators in Box. All data is encrypted for security. Files and folders can be also designated as viewable or downloadable by others via a web link. Weblinks can be password-protected and can be set with an assignable expiration date. Box accounts with a 50 GB capacity are available at no cost to all students, faculty and staff. For more information about this service, visit box.unl.edu. To log in to the service, go to unl.box.com.
Accessing your CSE email through a web browser
Most CSE accounts have an email address associated with them. All new student accounts created for undergraduate and graduate students after are configured to automatically forward incoming email messages to the Preferred Email Address on file for the student in MyRED. As a result, most students who log in to the CSE webmail interface will not see any messages. It is possible to send messages from the CSE webmail interface even if your mail is set to forward to another address, but any replies to that message will still route to your Preferred Email Address.
Email messages will no longer forward to a student's Preferred Email Address after their CSE account has expired, so we do not recommend using your CSE email address for anything unrelated to your CSCE coursework. Do not enter your CSE email address in MyRED, as this can result in a mail loop that would prevent you from receiving new incoming email messages.
Webmail for CSE-Mail Users
CSE-Mail is the email server for most users who have an email address that ends in @cse.unl.edu.
- The default webmail client is called SquirrelMail, and is available at http://cse-mail.unl.edu/webmail/.
- An alternate webmail client called Roundcube is available at http://cse-mail.unl.edu/roundcube.
Either interface can be used interchangably.
Webmail for CSE-Cyrus Users
Some CSE faculty and staff have been migrated from cse-mail to a separate closed IMAP server called cse-cyrus. This server handles simultaneous connections from multiple email clients better than cse-mail does, but there is no shell (or any other non-IMAP) access to this server.
Webmail access for users with mail on cse-cyrus is available through the Roundcube interface at http://cse-cyrus.unl.edu/roundcube.
Webmail for Huskers Users (Students and Alumni)
All university students can set up an @huskers.unl.edu email account, which is hosted by Microsoft's ExchangeLabs. Unlike CSE email addresses, students can keep their huskers.unl.edu account after graduation, so this can become a permanent email address. Students also get to choose the email address when setting up a huskers.unl.edu account. To request an account or log in to the huskers.unl.edu webmail interface, visit http://huskers.unl.edu.
University alumni are also eligible for a lifelong huskers.unl.edu email account. Any alum who cannot log in to request an account at huskers.unl.edu can request an account through the Nebraska Alumni Association. Detailed instructions for that process are available in I.S. Public Knowledge Base Solution 8792.
Webmail for Office365 Users (Faculty and Staff)
The university's primary email service for faculty and staff is hosted by Microsoft's Office365. The Outlook Web App (OWA) is available at http://mymail.unl.edu.
Viewing your spam quarantine
Any email that is relayed through cse.unl.edu goes through a spam detection appliance. Any email the appliance deems as likely spam is quarantined.
Daily summaries of quarantined email are sent to users. Users can click on individual messages in the spam quarantine summary to view, deliver, delete or whitelist the sender.
Occasionally, however, it might be necessary to view your spam quarantine immediately. Point a browser to https://cse-barracuda.unl.edu and either log in if you already have an account, or make yourself an account if you do not. Please note that your username will be your CSE login - not your email address