The Department of Computer Science & Engineering has established the CSE Honors Program to recognize and foster high academic achievement and outstanding scholarship. It provides an enhanced college experience through a challenging and creative academic program for the most talented and highly-motivated students. There are numerous benefits to membership, including the following.
- Take advantage of smaller classes, more in-depth curriculum and increased direct contact with faculty
- Receive first consideration for department-level scholarships
- Be more competitive for placement in undergraduate research projects including the UCARE program
- Get advanced notification of internships and full-time job opportunities
- Receive an invitation to become a member of Upsilon Pi Epsilon, the International Honor Society for the Computing and Information Disciplines
Dr. Chris Bourke
Director, CSE Honors Program
256 Avery Hall
Lincoln, NE 68558-0115
Students enrolled in the CSE Honors Program must maintain a minimum level of academic performance. Specifically, they must maintain the following requirements.
- Participants must actively enroll in and successfully fulfill the requirements of Honors sections of CSCE courses. Specifically, all CSE Honors Program participants must satisfy the following.
- By graduation, all participants must have completed honors versions of at least 6 CSCE courses in total, either through taking an officially recognized honors section or by contracting for honors credit with the instructor for courses which may not have an official honors section (a contract form is available in the documents section).
- At least 3 of the 6 honors courses must be from the core required courses which include the following: CSCE 155, CSCE 156, CSCE 230, CSCE 235, CSCE 310, CSCE 322, CSCE 361 (CSCE 399 is also an option).
- Participants must be full-time students taking 12 or more hours per semester.
- Participants must maintain a minimum 3.5 GPA in CSE courses and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5.
In addition, all participants are expected to
- actively participate in student roles within the CSE Department
- engage in undergraduate research
Failure to maintain these requirements may result in removal from the CSE Honors Program. Prior to graduation, CSE Honors Program members are to complete an Honors Program Audit form and submit it to the CSE Honors Program Director. If a student has failed to meet all requirements, they will not be considered to have graduated from the CSE Honors Program.
Incoming freshmen will receive an invitation to the CSE Honors Program if they meet the following admission requirements.
- A minimum ACT composite score of 29 or a minimum SAT score of 1300
- A class rank equivalent to the top 20%
- Demonstrate high aptitude in advanced mathematics or exposure to CSE topics or a high-level programming language
- Demonstrate a commitment to academic and intellectual excellence
Students who do not meet the initial admission requirements or who did not otherwise receive an invitation may apply to join the CSE Honors Program if they satisfy the following requirements.
- They must have completed at least one academic year at UNL or at another institution of higher learning and maintained a minimum GPA of 3.5 in CSE courses and as a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- They must have completed at least two CSCE courses that count toward their degree requirements
- They must have demonstrated the potential for further academic excellence and success in the CSE Honors Program
- They must obtain a recommendation from a CSE faculty member
Students meeting these requirements and wishing to apply to the CSE Honors Program will need to submit their application along with their faculty recommendation to the CSE Honors Program Director.