Academic Probation Policies - Graduate

All graduate students are required to make satisfactory progress to remain in good standing within the Department and the Graduate School. It is particularly important for students receiving financial aid of any kind. The requirements specified by the Graduate College is as follows:

  1. A minimum grade of "B" or better in every deficiency course.
  2. A minimum grade of "B" is required for graduate credit in 800 level CSE courses with 400 or lower counterparts.
  3. A minimum grade of "C" or "P" (Pass) is required for graduate credit in 800 level courses in minor, collateral, or supporting areas of work.
  4. A minimum grade of "C" or "P" (Pass) is required for graduate credit in 900 level courses, or 800 level courses without 400 or lower counterparts.

If a student receives an unsatisfactory grade, the Graduate Committee with the counsel of the student's advisor (and the supervisory committee) will recommend a course of action.

A student who does not satisfy the minimum requirements in a semester is automatically put on academic probation. A student who fails to meet the standard in two semesters during the graduate program may be disallowed to continue in the program. In this case, the student (and his/her advisor) must present compelling evidence to the graduate committee to be allowed to continue in the program.

A student who receives financial support of any kind is usually held to a much higher standard than the minimum required by the Graduate College. It is imperative that such students excel in their performance, since the renewal of an assistantship is directly related to it.