September 6-8, 2018
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering is celebrating 50 years of excellence in 2018 with its faculty, staff, alumni, partners and friends. Please join us in participating in the events we have planned in celebration of this milestone.
Thursday, September 6, 2018
Friday, September 7, 2018
Saturday, September 8, 2018
Printable copy of the Schedule of Events
50 Years of CSE
Dr. Lester Lipsky
Dr. George Nagy
Dr. Roy Keller
Dr. Steve Reichenbach
Dr. Rich Sincovec
Dr. Steve Goddard
Dr. Matt Dwyer
Dr. Gregg Rothermel
A panel of eight past and current department chairs discuss CSE's first 50 years and the years ahead.
Lee Redden6 p.m.. Friday, Sept. 7
Lee Redden is a University of Nebraska–Lincoln alumnus who is now the CTO and co-founder of Blue River Technology, which deploys cutting-edge technology to farm equipment.
Eric Brown3:45 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 6
Eric Brown is the Director of Foundational Innovation at IBM Watson Health. He was named one of 50 Most Indispensable Executives in Marketing, Media and Tech by ADWEEK in 2016.
Register to attend the events celebrating the department's 50th aniversary
We encourage you to join us in our celebration. While you may attend the talks and some of the other events at no cost, the meals and events during the meals are ticketed events.
We ask that you register even if you choose to attend none of the ticketed events. Registering will allow us to plan for the number of attendees.
- Ticketed Events:
- Thursday Lunch - Innovation Campus - $20/pp
- Thursday Dinner - An outdoor BBQ on the University plaza - City Campus - $35/pp
- Friday Dinner - Innovation Campus - $50/pp
Director of Foundational Innovation, IBM Watson Health
Eric Brown is the Director of Foundational Innovation at IBM Watson Health. He’s been at IBM since 1995 and currently leads a team that develops and tests advanced cognitive technologies for healthcare and life sciences. In 2016, he was named one of 50 Most Indispensable Executives in Marketing, Media and Tech by ADWEEK.
CTO, Blue River Technology
Lee Redden is a UNL alumnus who is now the CTO and co-founder of Blue River Technology, which deploys cutting-edge technology to farm equipment and was recently purchased by John Deere. He has experience in many areas of technology including robotics, computer vision and machine learning through performing research at robotics labs at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, NASA Johnson Space Center, and Stanford University.
Assistant Professor, NC State University
Kathryn Stolee is three-time CSE graduate and assistant professor at North Carolina State University. She is the recipient of an NSF CAREER Award whose research focuses on program analysis, code search, and empirical software engineering.
Professor, NYU Tandon
Nasir Memon received his Ph.D. from CSE and is now an associate dean and professor at New York University. His research interests include digital forensics, biometrics, data compression, network security and security and human behavior.
Hesham Ali is a professor and associate dean at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. He is also the deputy director for computational sciences of the Nebraska Informatics Center for Life Center (NICLS), and a member of Nebraska Center for Biosecurity.
CEO, Wadhwani AI
P. Anandan is a CSE alumnus who was inducted into the university’s Hall of Computing in 2010. He was the founder and managing director of Microsoft Research India, VP of Research for Adobe India, professor of AI at Yale University, and now the CEO of Wadhwani AI.
COO, Mayfield Robotics
Sarah Osentoski is a CSE alumna and a co-founder and COO at Mayfield Robotics. Previously, she worked as an engineer and manager at Bosch, received her PhD from UMass Amherst, and has collaborated with technologists around the world.
Principal Software Engineer, Amazon
Mark Tuttle received his bachelor’s degree from CSE, and his master’s and Ph.D. from MIT. He’s worked on the engineering teams at Hewlett-Packard, Intel, and now Amazon, where he currently serves as a principal engineer.
Business & Leadership Talks
VP Engineering, Synopsys
Behshad Rejai is a CSE alumna who is now the VP of Engineering at Synopsys after working in various roles at the company for 17 years. Her experience also includes roles at Rockwell International and Boeing Corporation, as well as several Space Shuttle and Department of Defense artificial intelligence initiatives.
Naveed Sherwani is a CSE alumnus who started his first company when he was 18. He has founded multiple companies since then and currently serves as the president and CEO of SiFive. He has more than 25 years of experience in entrepreneurship, engineering and management.
Siri Platform Architect, Apple
Cesar Delgado received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Nebraska. He’s currently a Siri platform architect at Apple and has worked in multiple roles on the Siri and iOS development teams. He also has experience working at several Silicon Valley startups.
Our Event Sponsors
Become a Sponsor
By becoming a sponsor for our celebration, you or your company will be mentioned in our program guide. In addition, certain sponsors will also be listed on our website as detailed below. If you're interested in becoming a sponsor, there are various ways to support our department:
- Event Sponsorships: All event sponsors will have their company/name listed in the event program guide. All sponsorships or donations over $500 will also be listed on our website.
- Corporate/Family Friday dinner table for 8 - $400
- Make a monetary donation in support of this event.
- Sponsor a Student to this event*: All event sponsors will have their company/name listed in the event program guide.
- Sponsor a single student for entire event - $100
- Sponsor a single student for Friday dinner - $50
- * Student event sponsorships will be shared among faculty to be handed out to their most promising and deserving students.
- Advertising Sponsorships: Place an advertisement in our 50th Anniversary Celebration program booklet, an 8x11 gloss and bounded keepsake.
- Full page ad in event program guide - $1600
- Half page ad in event program guide - $850
- If you or your company would like to sponsor or support our event in another way please contact us at email@example.com
The above Sponsorships and Donations can be made through the same event registration portal.
Register to attend or Sponsor Our Event
* - Your facility must be located in Lincoln, transportation to and from your facility will be provided. Tours must be between the hours of 11:30 and 1:30 on September 7th or any two-hour block between 11:30 and 5:00 on Sept 7th. - There was mention of a company tour...
Map of Key Event Locations
Alumni discounted rates are available at the Graduate. Please note that as this is a football weekend, many hotels will have a two or three-night minimum and rates will be higher than usual. You are strongly encouraged to make your lodging reservations as soon as possible.